Enrolling in Section 8 housing

Section 8 is a program offered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development, also known as HUD. Through HUD low income families obtain financial vouchers to offset the cost of renting or buying a homeTo receive assistance from HUD, you must register in Section 8 housing through local public housing agency (PHA).


  1. Contact the PHA to see if applications for Section 8 housing are being accepted. If they are being accepted, ask for a request prior or preliminary mail. You can also visit your local office of the PHA to get one. Some PHA will also provide you a downloadable form their websites.
  2. Complete the application Preliminary Section 8 housing will need to provide the number of people in your household and their names, ages and relationship. You also have to provide financial information including banking information, the name of your employer, current salary and any other source of income.
  3. Gather documentation to support the information entered on the application. Possibly you need to include copies of some documents, birth certificates, Social Security cards, heels recent paycheck, bank statements and tax returns.
  4. Presents the application complete preview, along with documentation, to the PHA. Your name will be placed in a preliminary waiting list. When your number in the list is reached, you will be contacted for review. It can take months or years for your name to be achieved, depending on how many people are on the list before you and how quickly housing funds available.
  5. Wait for the PHA complete the selection process. This includes a background check and verifies your financial information. When the selection process is complete, the PHA will contact you to let you know if you’ve been approved for Section 8 housing. The PHA does not give a timeline for the selection process.